Today we will share a few tips on how you can extend the lifespan of your central air conditioning unit:
- Once your desired room temperature has been set, try setting your thermostat to energy saving mode. Everyone might be tempted to run AC on full speed all day long, especially during the hot summer months in Los Angeles, CA. However, this typically shortens the lifespan of your system. If you keep your central AC unit on energy saving mode, it will only power on when the room temperature is hot. In addition, you will also save cost on your electricity bill – and that is something we all want to do! Don’t hesitate to reach out to find out about some cool new thermostats that are currently on the market.
- Don’t forget to change your filter periodically. One of the most important components of a long-lasting air conditioner is its maintenance. And the key to maintenance is to have your air conditioning unit not running “overtime” in order to make up for the dirty filter. We recommend changing your filter every 3-6 months for the best health of the system. There are, however, different kinds of filters you can buy. For instance, HEPA filters help those with allergies filter out the allergens from your residence. Also, there are fiberglass filters that are considered “standard”. We recommend you to consult your AC manufacturer’s guide to find out the proper filter for your specific system. However, if you are unsure of what type of filter to use, give us a call and we can help you out!
- Remove any obstacles from the air intake of your central air conditioning system. The air intake is used to remove the hot air from your residence once the air conditioner starts blowing cold air out of the vents. You can extend the life of your central AC system by removing any furniture and obstacles from the return air intake. In addition, this will also extend the life of the coils, as they will be less likely to freeze.
- Speaking of the coils, you should clean them regularly. In order to clean the air conditioning coils, you need to first shut down the power to your central AC unit. Then, check your unit’s manual guide on how to access the coils. If you are not sure how to do that, you can always give us a call at: 818-590-7941 and one of our trained technicians can take care of your unit. In order to ensure that your AC will not run at 150%, it’s essential to maintain the proper air flow through the evaporator and condenser coils.
- Power on our central air conditioning system at least every month. You might be wondering: why do I need to turn on my ac unit during winter, when the air temperatures are low? Even if you have no need to cool down your house, powering on your system will ensure that it will last longer. In addition, you will know if you need any repairs or maintenance early on, before the temperatures reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit.